BIBLE CHARACTER NOAH
BIBLE REFERENCE Genesis 8 & 9
- Every creature that is alive shall be yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants.
- Only flesh with its lifeblood still in it you shall not eat.
- For your own lifeblood, too, I will demand an accounting: from every animal I will demand it, and from man in regard to his fellow man I will demand an accounting for human life.
- Be fertile, then, and multiply; abound on earth and subdue it."
- Never again shall all bodily creatures be destroyed by the waters of a flood; there shall not be another flood to devastate the earth.
- the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all mortal beings.
SIGNS OF THE COVENANT
- I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
- I will see it and recall the everlasting covenant that I have established between God and all living beings--all mortal creatures that are on earth."
- "This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all mortal creatures that are on earth."
BIBLE CHARACTER ABRAHAM
BIBLE REFERENCE Genesis 17: 2 – 14 Luke 1:72 – 75
- God will increase his numbers.
- He will be the father of many nations.
- He will be called ABRAHAM instead of ABRAM.
- The Covenant will between God and Abraham and his children.
- Yahweh will be his God and all of his family after him.
- God will give Abraham and his family the land of Canaan.
- Abraham must keep God’s Covenant.
- God promised to save the Israelites from their enemies so that they could serve Him without fear.
- God wants the Israelites to be holy and godly.
SIGNS OF THE COVENANT
- All male must be circumcised.
BIBLE CHARACTER ISAAC
BIBLE REFERENCE Genesis 17:19 Genesis 26:3 - 4
- He will have a son by Sarah, his wife.
- God will give lands to Isaac and his children.
- The Covenant will be for Isaac and his descendants.
- He will bless Ishmael, his son.
- God will keep His promise made to Abraham.
BIBLE CHARACTER JACOB
BIBLE REFERENCE Genesis 28:13 – 15 1 Chronicles 16:14-16
- God will give Jacob the land on which he is lying.
- Jacob’s children will be like the dust of the earth and they will spread out to the West, to the East, to the South and to the North.
- God will bless Jacob and all of his descendants.
- God will be with him and will watch over him wherever he goes.
- God will not leave Jacob until God has done what He has promised.
BIBLE CHARACTER DAVID
BIBLE REFERENCE 2 Samuel 23:5 Psalms 89:3 - 4
- He will become a king.
- The Covenant will last forever.
- God will make David’s family line continue forever.
- God will make David’s kingdom secure for all time to come.
BIBLE CHARACTER JESUS
BIBLE REFERENCE Matthew 28:18 - 20
- Jesus came to them and said:
- I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth! 19Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.
SIGNS OF THE COVENANT
28 They answered, "We saw clearly that the LORD was with you; so we said, 'There ought to be a sworn agreement between us'-between us and you. Let us make a treaty with you. . .”
WHAT IS A COVENANT?
It is a solemn agreement between two parties committing to bind themselves to perform the agreed tasks in order to achieve the purpose of their mutual understanding and benefits.
Just like the people in the Old and NewTestaments, we have a sacred covenant with our God Almighty. The Word of God cannot be changed and it will not perish. In His words, there are promises which are alive and powerful. These are the promises He gave to Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, David and many more great people in the Old Testament. The same promises Jesus gave to the people of His time and most of all – to US!
Yes, believe it or not, God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. His Words still hold the power and authority over our lives. Our Covenant is now with Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. He has promised that if we come near to Him believing and have a common union with Him, He will bring us to His heavenly Kingdom!
And for us to fully comprehend our Covenant with Jesus Christ, we have to a clear understanding of the early covenants with the people of God.
I hope and pray that these information will pave a deeper meaning in the reader’s spiritual life.
Submitted by :
Bro. Francis A.